Can You Grow a Fiddle Leaf Fig From Seeds?
Have you ever wondered how your gorgeous fiddle leaf fig plant came to be? Maybe you look at all the trees in the nursery and wonder how they are grown. This leads many to ask, can you grow a fiddle leaf fig from seeds?
The short answer to the question is YES. Fiddle leaf figs can be grown from seeds. However, think twice about ordering fiddle leaf fig seeds online as you will not be able to grow a plant from the seeds because they require specific conditions to grow.
How Fiddle Leaf Figs Are Grown From Seeds
Plants grown from seeds require pollination. A fruit and a flower and a pollinator come together to germinate the seed and help it to grow. The pollination part is where things get interesting for fiddle leaf figs.
Fiddle leaf figs are native in the wild in only two places on earth. Fiddle leaf figs are native to Western Africa and Australia. There they need to be pollinated by a certain type of wasp that only lives in these regions. Without this particular wasp, pollination cannot occur. Without pollination, a fiddle leaf fig cannot grow.
How Fiddle Leaf Figs Are Grown for U.S. Distribution
I spoke with one of the top fiddle leaf fig producers in the U.S.; they supply nearly 70-80% of the plants to nurseries in the United States.
They explained that germination can occur from a seed but the process takes nearly 3 months and the failure rate is high. You might think that growers would use propagation as a means to produce more fiddle leaf figs, but they actually use a faster process.
90% of fiddle leaf figs are grown from tissue cultures. This is a laboratory process where you take a cutting of a plant and multiply it into thousands of plants that are grown in sterile conditions. Once they have roots, they are planted and distributed across the U.S.
Growing Fiddle Leaf Figs By Propagation
It can take 4-6 weeks to see roots from the cutting. Once the roots have grown, you are ready to pot in fresh fiddle leaf fig soil and watch it grow! If you take 4 cuttings, you have a nearly 100% success rate of growing at least 1 healthy new fiddle leaf fig.
About our new Houseplant Propagation Promoter
The exclusive formula of Houseplant Propagation Promoter helps support strong growth and photosynthesis, and it protects new cuttings against bacteria and toxins that can cause new cuttings to fail. With this easy-to-use product, you will be able to clone your best plants more quickly, even tough-to-propagate species like fiddle leaf figs. It also comes with a free Complete Propagation Guide, which includes photos and step-by-step instructions. Click here to buy now.
Now you can share your new knowledge about how fiddle leaf figs are grown with your plant friends and family! Come and chat with other fiddle leaf fig lovers in our active community on Facebook.
Grab the Essentials for Your Fiddle Leaf Fig:
- Premium Fiddle Leaf Fig Potting Soil
- Fiddle Leaf Fig Plant Food
- Root Rot Treatment
- Houseplant Leaf Armor to protect against insects, bacteria, and fungus (As an added bonus, it also cleans and adds shine to your plant’s leaves!)
- Moisture meter to always know when your plant is thirsty.
- Houseplant Propagation Promoter to propagate more quickly and with more success.
To learn more:
- Sign up for our free Fiddle Leaf Fig Care 101 Webinar or enroll in our free Fiddle Leaf Fig Course for advanced fiddle leaf fig care.
- Make sure you’re subscribed to our newsletter.
- Read The Fiddle Leaf Fig Expert, your complete guide to growing healthy fiddle leaf fig plants. The book is available in full-color paperback or Kindle edition on Amazon now!
- Click to join our community on Facebook: Fiddle Leaf Fig Plant Resource Group.