It’s not that fiddle leaf fig trees are hard to keep healthy, it’s more that many fiddle leaf fig tree owners are houseplant beginners. They don’t have the confidence of a houseplant veteran and they may second-guess their decisions when caring for their new plant.
Novices may water their tree too often and inadvertently cause root rot. Or they may forget about their tree completely and kill it with drought. Caring for their fiddle leaf fig tree may be confusing or overwhelming.
Over- and under-watering are the two most common killers of a fiddle leaf fig tree. As a new plant owner, the best thing you can do for your tree is master the art of watering. Luckily, we know the simple secret to watering your plant the right amount and keeping it healthy.
The 3 Secrets to Watering Your Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree
1. First, commit to watering your plant once a week. No more, no less. Set a reminder to water your plant at the same time each week. I prefer watering my tree on Fridays.
2. Then, water your plant the same amount each time you water. For fiddle leaf fig trees less than 3 feet tall, use only 1 cup of water. For trees more than 3 feet tall, water with 2 cups of water.
3. Finally, fertilize your plant each time you water (except in winter) with diluted houseplant food or Fiddle Leaf Fig Plant Food. Your plant will need nutrients for growth from March through October, which it can’t get from potting soil alone. Fertilizing with a diluted liquid fertilizer provides consistent nutrients without the risk of burning your plant.
In a nutshell, water your plant with 1-2 cups of water and fertilizer every Friday.
That’s it! The secret to a healthy fiddle leaf fig tree is as easy as one, two, three!
- Order our Premium Fiddle Leaf Fig Potting Soil and Fiddle Leaf Fig Plant Food.
- A moisture meter like this one will always let you know when your plant is thirsty.
- Our Houseplant Leaf Armor is designed to protect your plant from insects, bacteria, and fungus. As an added bonus, it cleans and adds shine to your houseplant’s leaves!
To learn more:
- Read about how to keep your fiddle leaf fig healthy, green, and gorgeous here.
- Sign up for our free Fiddle Leaf Fig Care 101 Webinar or enroll in our free Fiddle Leaf Fig Course for advanced fiddle leaf fig care.
- Make sure you’re subscribed to our newsletter.
- Read The Fiddle Leaf Fig Expert, your complete guide to growing healthy fiddle leaf fig plants. The book is available in full-color paperback or Kindle edition on Amazon now!
- Click to join our community on Facebook: Fiddle Leaf Fig Plant Resource Group.